Friday, May 18, 2012

Walk to the Clouds...Tajumulco. Highest point in Central America

Arriving in Xela to meet up with our friend Steve, whom we met at the Casa Guatemala orphanage and is now a trekking guide, meant one thing- climb the highest volcano (point) in Central America. Tajumulco, or in Mayan "walk to the clouds", sits in north western Guatemala at 4220 meters.  We wanted to end our time spent in "Chapinlandia" with a bang, and even though it's rainy season, we decided last minute that we were up for the adventure... rain or shine.

Steve is now volunteering for a non-profit trekking organization called Quetzaltrekkers.  All profits generated from this trekking outfit go to support a local street children's school.  Quezaltrekkers has been in operation for over fifteen years and gives children the opportunity to attend school and even go to university.  Check it out! http://www.quetzaltrekkers.com


The journey began at 5 am with a chicken bus ride in a suped-up blue bird school bus going no slower than 90 mph through high windy mountain roads. After a pit stop in the town of San Marcos and a plate full of pancakes and fresh fruit, and yet another chaotic bus ride, we made it with sleepy eyes to the road that would take us to the trail head. 

After a stellar three hour hike into the misty clouds, we made it to the base camp that sits right below the peak. All three of us took a relaxing half hour siesta under the sun, until the afternoon rains began and didn't stop until after dark. The following day, Dom and I woke up at 4:30 in the morning to catch the sunrise from the top of central america and welcome the day.  "La Pacha mama" or "mother earth" answered our prayers and the weather was impeccable. As soon as we summited, the crescent moon slowly disappeared, the sun penetrated through the wave of clouds opening the sky and exposing the earth's beauty below. We admired the view, which included Volcan Santa Maria (one of the worlds top five most active volcanoes right outside of Xela that erupts every 20 minutes), the myriad of volcanoes that surrounds Lago Atitlan, and the mountain range that extends into southern Mexico. 

We are now revived and ready to continue our travels as we hop on a plane and fly south to San Jose, Costa Rica... stay tuned for more DandY adventures!

Mucho amor, 

Yasmin & Dom


This pup befriended us at the trail head and decided to join the adventure


Last few steps to the top



Dom keepin' it real in his fluorescent chompa!





Camp site with Tajumulco in the background

Steve, Yasmin and Dom on the hike down...Calidad!

Ever wonder what happened to those old bluebird school buses?

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd, Hepatitis, Diabetes, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids&Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement the same few doctors and they represent a very small faction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituaherbalcenter.com. My Instagram Username...avat5634 Just in case you need someone to talk with. He cure the following diseases below...1. Herpes 2. cancer 3. HIV / AIDS 4. hepatitis 5. Bring my ex back 6. Leprosy 7. SARS 8. Bubonic plague
    9. Cerebrovascular disease 10. Lower respiratory infections 11. Syphilis 12. Influenza A-H1N1 (swine flu) 13.Ischemic heart disease 14. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 15. Shingles 16. psoriasis,Perinatal complications 17. diarrhea 18 Autism. 19.. lung cancer.

    ReplyDelete